Sunday, December 25, 2005

Christmas Eve

One December when I was a little girl, I was home sick in bed and Mom decided to read Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol to me. As she read, I became entirely wrapped up in the story and, not surprisingly, the detailed descriptions of food. Finally, when Scrooge had seen the errors of his ways and everyone sat down to a fabulous meal, including Tiny Tim, I exclaimed, "I want a goose for Christmas this year!"

From then on, a goose on either Christmas or Christmas Eve became a tradition. Jewish, I still enjoyed commemorating the holiday and even when I questioned my own involvement in the Jewish community, or whether having a decorated Christmas tree (with no explicitly Christian decorations) was really a good idea, I always wanted our homemade, delicious, roast goose.

Last night, we had a quiet evening with Mom, Dad, my uncle Steven, my best friend Davey and his mother and Mom's best friend from high school, Arnie. The food was delicious, especially the plump, crisp Roast Goose. Enjoy reading the menu and allow me to extend my wishes for: "A merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

And Happy Holidays!

Christmas Eve Menu

Platter of Assorted Cheeses, Olives and Crackers
Garlic Shrimp
Roast Goose with dried Apricots and Orange Peel
Cornbread
Steamed Broccoli
Buttery Mashed Potatoes
Chocolate-Pecan Pie
Assorted Cookies

And to drink, we enjoyed:
Kir Royales, with Creme de Mure instead of the usual Creme de Cassis
A wonderful, slightly sparkling bottle of rose that Davey brought
A 2003 Chateau Peyfol Cotes de Castillon
Various Teas


and and and and and and and and

No comments: