This is a simple (almost) vegetarian meal that really showcases that flavors of good dry beans, fresh turnip greens (from our CSA), fresh pancetta and homemade tomato fettuccine. The spinach I used was frozen (it was all I had on hand) but I'm sure this would be fantastic with fresh spinach as well. It was also my first time making dry beans from scratch. How easy and what a big taste difference! Because I was making so few, I didn't even pre-soak them. Enjoy!
Sauteed turnip greens and spinach with pancetta and cannellini beans over tomato fettuccine
- 1/4 cup dry cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bunch turnip greens (from about 4 turnips)
- 1 pound spinach, chopped (I used frozen)
- 1 pound fresh fettuccine (I used tomato, but use any flavor you prefer or even plain)
- 2 slices pancetta (mine was thickly cut and shaped like bacon)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup Chardonnay or white Burgundy
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
Place beans in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until beans are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Free turnip greens from the turnips and break in half. Rinse, then spin dry in a salad spinner, along with spinach.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add fettuccine. Cook until it rises to the top, then drain and set aside until greens are ready.
Halve pancetta slices lengthwise, then roughly chop. Saute in a large skillet over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add greens, cover and cook 6 minutes, stopping halfway through to give everything a good stir. Uncover and add beans, salt, sesame seeds and pepper. Cook another 2 minutes. Add wine and cook another 4 minutes, stirring, until it no longer tastes alcoholic. Add cardamom and cook a final 2 minutes. Toss with pasta. Enjoy!
Links to other turnip greens noshes:
- Creamed Turnip Greens from Andrea's Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Bacon and Turnip Greens from Cooking...by the seat of my pants!
- Baby Turnips and Greens in a Moghul-Style Sauce from She Spills the Beans
- Spicy Bok Choy and Turnip Greens with Garlic and Ginger from In My Box
- New Year's Turnip Greens by A Veggie Venture