Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pommes de terre aux bananes et persil

I love the idea of Potato Salad, in theory. Especially a warm Potato Salad--warm, cooked Potatoes, creamy sauce--perfect for a summer meal. Unfortunately, in practice, I'm never happy with Potato Salad. I find it extremely bland, gloopy and overly sweet. Now, I'm not against mixing sweet foods into a savory dish. But only when the combination still tastes fresh and simple works well together--not just with a ton of Mayonnaise (which the Boy detests) or, worse yet, Ketchup, thrown in out of sheer boredom or because everyone else does it. For me, if a savory food has a sweetness to it, I like it to be because something that happens to be sweet (such as Fruit) has been surreptitiously added. I would also love to find a Potato Salad with a real kick to it--Mustard instead of the ubiquitious Mayonnaise.

I'm sure this all sounds like a boring, angry rant, and I do apologize for its rant-like qualities. It is all the preface, though, to the fact that I finally broke down what I do and don't like about Potato Salad and made my own version--spicy, sweet, warm and delicious. Inspired by Patatas Bravas, I added in mashed Banana and some fresh Parsley from my now-dead Parsley Plant. I don't remember what I served this with, but it was absolutely delicious. Enjoy!

Pommes de terre aux bananes et persil

Heat 3 tablespoons Olive Oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add Green Onions and Garlic and saute until soft. Turn off heat and add Salt, Pepper, Herbes de Provence, Paprika, Pepper Flakes and Thyme. Transfer to a bowl and add Banana and Mustard, mixing well. Add Fleur de Sel, if necessary. Let sit while flavors meld and you prepare Potatoes.

Heat 1 cup Olive Oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Salt and Pepper Potatoes and add (carefully!) to skillet (oil will splatter). Fry, moving potatoes around occasionally with a spatula, until golden-brown and cooked through. Remove from skillet and drain of excess oil on paper towels.

Add Potatoes to Sauce and mix well. Garnish with Parsley and serve immediately. Enjoy!

No comments: