Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Cocktail de champagne

After living for a year in Paris and drinking Wine almost exclusively, I all but lost my taste for Liquor. Once back in New York, however, I quickly discovered that when people socialize at bars in the late afternoon/early evening, they often want drinks that are slightly more fun than a glass of Wine. That, and the house Red is rarely comparable to the Cotes du Rhone I'm accustomed to ordering in Paris. However, I find most American cocktails too sweet to drink happily. And I'm still not a Beer drinker.

I decided to take matters into my own hands, though, and start experimenting with cocktails myself. I decided to try a Champagne Cocktail, taking the recipe from Seduction and Spice, a wonderfully evocative Aphrodisiac cookbook. I made a couple of changes, as is my way, substituting Cognac for Brandy and using a Spanish Sparkling Wine, Cava. The recipe was very basic and, I thought, quite tasty. It's also a great way to cover up not-so-good Champagne. I would certainly order it in a bar, though probably only an upscale one. And now I have an almost-full bottle of Angostura Bitters. Any suggestions?

Cocktail de champagne
(makes 1 cocktail)

1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
1 splash Cognac
1 slice Orange

Swirl together Sugar and Bitters in a Champagne glass until Sugar is dissolved. Add Sparkling Wine and Cognac. Garnish with Orange slice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very smart cocktail. If you prepare it in a salad bowl and serve your guests with a ladle, you can call this cocktail " soupe de champagne ". Very smart also. But very friendly too.

Lady Amalthea said...

Quelle idee fantastique! La prochaine fois que j'ai une fete chez moi, c'est exactement ce que je ferai. Merci pour la suggestion delicieuse!