|Stir-Fried Chickpeas, in the Wok|
In trying to adapt my cooking styles to jive with a (mostly) vegetarian lifestyle, I've found myself most inspired by non-vegetarian recipes that I then adapt to my own purposes. These Chickpeas with Black Bean Sauce is one-such recipe.
Cleaning out the refrigerator, I discovered a jar of black bean sauce. It hadn't expired yet, but I also knew I hadn't used it more than once, when making a stir-fry from The Breath of a Wok. So, rather than throw it out, I decided to use it. Last time, I had used it with crabs. So first I found a stir-fry with crabs in it, Danny Chan's Ginger and Scallion Crabs from Yohana's Culinary Journey. Using that as a jumping-off point, I added in the black bean sauce. Then it was time to think of a new protein. A recipe for Chick Peas and Tuna with Spicy Black Bean Sauce came to the rescue. Eliminate the tuna, combine the recipes and ... voila! Dinner was served. My only complaint was that it was a bit dry. If anyone else has experience (and advice!) stir-frying chickpeas, please let us know in the comments. Bon appetit!
Chickpeas with Black Bean Sauce
adapted from Yohana's Culinary Journey and Goons with Spoons
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4 slices ginger root
- 2 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces, white part separated from green
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons soybeans, canned
- 2 cans chickpeas (about 2 pounds)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth (substitute vegetable if desired)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- cilantro, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
Heat wok over high heat. Swirl in grapeseed oil, add ginger and white part of green onions. Stir-fry 10
Make it a Meal: This is actually a meal in itself. If desired, you could serve over rice. For dessert, make an avocado milkshake. To drink, I recommend a rose, such as a 2010 Biohof Pratsch. Enjoy!
Leftovers: Make soup by pureeing leftovers with warm chicken or vegetable broth. Yum!
Links to other black bean sauce noshes:
- Grilled Lime Chicken with Black Bean Sauce from Simply Recipes
- Spicy Black Bean Chicken from Appetite for China
- Stir-Fried Chicken with Black Bean Sauce from Viet World Kitchen
- Chinese Steamed Spareribs with Black Bean Sauce from Steamy Kitchen
- In memory of a chef-dad, plus his from-scratch black bean sauce from The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook