In response to all the rich foods we've all been eating this month (and with an eye towards healthy New Year's resolutions), today's recipe is for a delicious main course salad we enjoyed a few weeks ago. It's my take on a Salad Nicoise, made vegetarian by substituting tofu for the tuna, with a few other tweaks as well. Great with a sparkling wine. Enjoy!
Tofu Nicoise Salad of Roasted Red Onion, Potatoes, Green Beans, and Olives
adapted from the Vegetarian Times
- 1 red onion, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 purple potato
- 1 red-skinned potato
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 10 ounces green beans, trimmed (I used frozen ones which worked great)
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed (in a garlic press)
- 1/8 teaspoon + 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 5 ounces spring salad mix
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, quartered
- 2 8-ounce packages baked tofu, cut into 1-inch slices
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 1/4 cup Manzanilla olives, pitted and halved
- 1/8 teaspoon Fleur de Sel
Preheat oven to 400F. Rub onion with olive oil, place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and roast 40 minutes. When lightly charred, remove and let cool. Peel off outermost layer and cut into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.
Meanwhile, place potatoes in large saucepan with cold salted water to cover. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to medium-high and cook about 20 minutes. Drain and, when cool, cut into 1-inch chunks. Set aside.
Boil green beans in a small pot of salted water for 5 minutes. If whole, cut into 2-inch pieces and set aside.
Whisk together Italian dressing, lemon juice, garlic and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Let stand 10 minutes.
In a large bowl, mix together salad mix, tomatoes, tofu, green beans, mushrooms, olives, onion, potatoes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper and dressing. Toss thoroughly to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Links to other salad Nicoise noshes:
- Nicoise Salad from Simply Recipes
- Nicoise Salad from No Recipes
- Salade Nicoise from YumSugar
- Nicoise Salad from Guilty Kitchen
- Quick and Easy Nicoise-Style Salad from The Kitchn
- Salad Nicoise, American Style from Tea & Cookies
- Seared Swordfish Nicoise Salad from Stephencooks
- Nicoise Pasta Salad from Treat a Week Recipes
- Nicoise Salad from Macheesmo
- Classic Salade Nicoise from David Lebovitz
- Nicoise Salad from Je Mange la Ville
- Comme Ci Comme Ca Salade Nicoise from KarmaFree Cooking