Sunday, March 12, 2006

Turkey Soup with Broccoli Raab and Dumplings

After what was perhaps the most intense two-month period of work, I am finally on vacation in New York and had some free-time tonight to do some cooking. Unfortunately, my camera is MIA after I left it at my cousins' months ago and Mom and Dad's is out of batteries, so there are no photos documenting my return to cooking. No matter. The soup was delicious, but not a looker.

Being lazy and still not having much time, I made this soup with Broth from boxes (they are organic...) so I'm sure it would be even better with homemade Stock. The Dumplings were a pleasant change of texture in the soup, but could easily be left out. Also, because I used so much meat and vegetables, the soup ended up being more like a hearty stew.

I was pleased to notice that Alanna, over at A Veggie Venture, is hunting for Broccoli Raab recipes. Broccoli Raab is such a wonderful, spicy green--more people should start using it and loving it.

Turkey Soup with Broccoli Raab and Dumplings

Soup:
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock
1 skinless, boneless Turkey Breast, as defatted as possible
Hot Red Pepper Flakes, to taste
1/2 teaspoon Spice Blend (I used Weber Gourmet Barbecue Rub)
2 cloves Garlic, minced
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
1 small Carrot, chopped
10 stalks Broccoli Raab, including leaves and florets, chopped
2 Mushrooms, sliced
2 stalks Celery, diced

Dumplings:
1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
4-5 tablespoons Water
1 large Egg

Garnish:
1 small Shallot, chopped
2 sprigs Parsley, chopped
2 sprigs Chives, chopped

In a large saucepan, bring Chicken Broth and Vegetable Stock to a boil. Dice Turkey Breast and add to Stocks. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer until Turkey is cooked through, about 10 minutes.

Add Pepper Flakes, Spice Blend, Garlic, Salt and Pepper. Cook 5-10 more minutes to combine flavors. Add vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes, until tender.

Meanwhile, prpare the Dumpling Dough. Mix together Flour, Water and Egg in a small bowl. Mix well until you have a soft dough. Pour Dough into a colander placed on top of saucepan. Push dough through holes in colander, scraping bottom with a knife or spoon if the dough is sticking too much. Don't worry about the shapes; they will vary in size, which makes them all the more fun. Add Shallot. Cook 5-10 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle Parlsey and Chives on top. Serve.

and and and and and

4 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Finally, something without sausage! Thanks for the contribution to the Broccoli Rabe Festival -- I'm deciding that it's the "new spinach"! Alanna

Lady Amalthea said...

I'm inclined to agree with you. And, unlike spinach, it doesn't cook down to nothing! It also has a nice flavor all its own.

Anonymous said...

Broccoli Raab ??? I know the broccoli but not the raab. I would be curious to taste it. Please, send me a bowl of soup !!!

Lady Amalthea said...

Mijo,
Broccoli Raab is a bitter cooking green; I'm not sure it's even related to broccoli! I know it mostly from Italian food, where it's often called Rapini. Hope that helps!
And if I could e-mail you soup, I would--but there's none left!