Sunday, August 07, 2005

Hermione's Egg Custard Pie


As usual, Harry was spending the summer with the Weasleys at the Burrow. Hermione had joined them all for the weekend and they were hungry and anxious for a snack. Unfortunately, however, Mrs. Weasley was not at home and Harry, Ron and Hermione were not yet allowed to use magic outside of Hogwarts. They asked Mr. Weasley to make them a snack with magic, but he had another idea. He had just discovered a cache of muggle kitchen supplies and wanted to try them out--an electric egg beater, a stove, a refrigerator and an oven. He brought the appliances in and turned to Harry and Hermione for help.

Luckily, Hermione knew her family's recipe for egg custard pie by heart. Better yet, it used all four tools. She divided up the recipe and gave everyone a job. But no one knew how to make a pie crust! So Mr. Weasley created one with magic.

After several extra eggs flew onto the floor (Mr. Weasley wasn't used to cracking them by hand and refused to use magic to help him), they finally got the pie into the oven and then into the refrigerator to chill. And when Mrs. Weasley came home and they all tasted it together, even she was impressed by how good it was!

Update: Jeanne has posted a specatcular round-up! Check it out!

Hermione's Egg Custard Pie

1 flakey Pie Crust (created by magic or otherwise)
4 Large Eggs + 1 Yolk
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 cups Milk

Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Brush Pie crust with Egg Yolk and put in oven for 10 minutes. If preparing the custard takes more time to make, keep crust in oven for longer; it should be warm when you pour the custard in.

Beat Eggs with an electric mixer until frothy. Add Salt, Sugar and Vanilla Extract and mix until well-combined. Heat Milk on stove until simmering. Pour it into Egg mixture and mix. Pour the new mixture into the warm Pie Crust and place it in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, until center of pie has a gelatin-like consistency. It will harden more as it chills.

Let Pie cool, then chill in refrigerator. Serve chilled.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks fabulous. Pity I'm on a diet this week - I'm saving up calories for a big foodie night coming up Saturday.

Jeanne said...

Mmmmm, that sounds just fab! Thanks so much for playing along - and here's the round-up:
http://cooksister.typepad.com/cook_sister/2005/08/eomeote9.html

Anonymous said...

Give me pie!

Lady Amalthea said...

Barbara, I can't wait to hear about your foodie night! And afterwards, you can make the pie! (It's super easy.)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it really does look delectable!

Putting this on my list of things to make soon... .

Hey! We're nosh-siblings too!

Nosher (from NYCnosh)

Anonymous said...

that looks really good...thanks for the recipe...

Lady Amalthea said...

Hi Lady Amalthea!

I love your blog - I wanted to leave a comment but I'm not a registered Blogger user (I'm with Typepad) so couldn't, as it required me to set up a blog etc...

I wanted to say how much I love the look of Hermione's Egg Custard Pie! I've commented on your site in my blog on 'Three egg custards are not enough' and I hope you don't mind, but I've also used the picture to illustrate.

Please check out my blog, as I'm sure it will be of interest to you! And would love you to add me to your blogroll.

http://www.andreawren.typepad.com/chocolate_and_beyond/

Thanks! Feel free to place these comments on your site.

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Hi Lady A - love the look of this wonderful pie! I'm not the best cake-maker but will have a go at this. Please keep a check on my blog to see how I get along 'beyond chocolate'!

Lady Amalthea said...

Andrea,
I'm hardly a baker either, but this pie was super easy. Good luck making it!

Anonymous said...

As a child, egg custard pie was always my favorite dessert. Doing a quick search for a recipe as a treat for some friends, I came across this one. Had to substitute brown sugar (poor planning which turned out great), and I have to say I don't think I've ever had better egg custard - and believe me, I've had a lot!
Thank you from the bottom of my very satisfied heart. Maybe the next one will have time to cool.

I'll be back!