|Watermelon and Tomato Salad|
When I was a kid, watermelon (and cucumbers) were the only two foods I refused to eat. Their high water content diluted the flavor so much as to make it unpalatable to me. Lately, though, I've found that, when it's terribly hot out, I crave these watery fruits. Probably my body seeking to rehydrate itself as much as possible.
But, because I have a low tolerance to sweet, I needed to add something salty to the watermelon and tomatoes. Mark Bittman recommends goat cheese, but I was more interested in feta, as suggested by Josh in his Heirloom Tomato and Watermelon Salad. Some basil (from the plant that's still growing nicely on our terrace!), a sprinkling of sea salt and a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and we had ourselves a delicious salad. Enjoy!
Watermelon and Tomato Salad
adapted from How to Cook Everything and The Food Section
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, assorted varieties, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/4 watermelon, seeded, peeled and sliced as thickly (or thinly) as tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 4 ounces feta, crumbled
- 8 leaves basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
On a large platter, lay down first a tomato slice, then a watermelon slice, overlapping slightly, until all used. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and feta. Crumble basil leaves on top and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.
|Salad, Corn and Shrimp|
Make It a Meal: Keep the summer theme going by serving the salad with corn -- rather than just steaming it, try Roasted Corn with Parsley Butter. If serving a vegetarian, and since the oven's already on for the corn) finish out the meal with some Roasted Vegetables. If not, go for Salt Roasted Shrimp instead. And to drink? Riesling, especially if you can find a local one like Treleaven Riesling from the Finger Lakes. Bon appetit!
Leftovers: Unfortunately, this isn't a salad that saves very well, so eat it the night of, if at all possible. If not, mix leftovers with falafel (if you don't make your own, I highly recommend Trader Joe's frozen variety) to make a more substantial salad. Yum!
Links to other watermelon salad noshes:
- Watermelon Salad with Feta or Cotija from Simply Recipes
- Beautiful and Simple Watermelon Salad that Is Perfect for Summer Days from Junglefrog Cooking
- Watermelon Salad Thing from Lottie + Doof
- Minty Watermelon Salad from Never Enough Thyme
- Tomato and Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese from Steamy Kitchen