Thursday, November 22, 2007

Epices melangees a l'Amalthea


Here's another very simple recipe--a spice rub. I was actually inspired to make this by a recipe on the back of a box of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt on Friday night when I wanted an exciting new flavoring for my Duck. Luckily, I made quite a lot of this rub, so I've had the opportunity to try it on Duck Magret, Lamb Chops and Trout. And there's plenty of rub left! I'm looking forward to trying it on Fish, especially a strong-flavored, fatty one. I've also finally found the perfect use for the Trattoria Jar in the photo above. I may even make smaller batches of the rub and package it in little jars to give as Chanukah presents.
This rub is delicious, but very strongly flavored. I used 1 tablespoon rub per Duck Breast and found it a little to strong, whereas the Boy really liked it. The Lamb Chops were far more successful in my opinion (though the Boy preferred the Duck), using 1 tablespoon of rub for all six chops. Basically, taste the rub before using it and keep in mind that it is strong (the primary flavor is my new favorite spice, Smoked Paprika). It's also even better ground with a clove or two of Garlic before using, either with a Mortar and Pestle or a Spice Grinder. Enjoy and let me know about your favorite spice rub and how you use it!
Epices melangees a l'Amalthea

Combine ingredients in a jar. Mix well. Store in a cool, dry place. Use 1/2 tablespoon per serving of all Lamb and Poultry before cooking.

Thoughts & Reves: Check out this fun online Cartoon.

And this great blog I've just discovered: Porcini Chronicles.

No comments: