Sunday, April 17, 2005

Sole au coco

Sole is probably my favorite fish, so when the Boy said he wanted fish for dinner tonight, I was definitely hoping there would be some nice-looking sole at the Marche des enfants rouges, which is open until 2 pm--late for a Sunday. When we got there, the fishman was packing up and had two kinds of fish left: a white fillet and, you guessed it, sole! I asked him for two soles and asked him to skin them.

After a beautiful day with a picnic by the Seine, ice cream at Dammon and watching kids play in the sandbox in the park near Notre Dame, the Boy and I came home, hungry and looking forward for a light, springtime meal to mark a perfect end to our day. My favorite way to eat sole is sole meuniere, so I decided that was what I wanted to make, with fluffy mashed potatoes, asparagus and a salad. Instead of dipping the sole in milk and then flour, as is usually done, I tried giving the fish an exotic flavor by adding coconut milk to the milk. This added just the essence of coconut to the sole. And while it cooked, I poured the rest of the milk into the as-yet-unmashed potatoes, tying the two dishes together quite nicely.

Sole au coco

2 skinned, not deboned, Sole fillets
1/4 cup Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Flour
Salt and Pepper
25 g Butter
1/2 Lemon

Pre-heat oven to 240 C. Combine Coconut Milk and Milk in a bowl. Mix Flour, salt and pepper in another bowl. Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Dip Sole first into the Milk mixture, then into the Flour mixture. Fry Sole in pan, 1-3 minutes each side. Transfer Sole to a baking dish and place in the oven. Cook 3 minutes each side. Serve each fillet with 1/4 lemon.

No comments: