Monday, December 31, 2007

Quelques cadeaux de cuisine

Now that the holidays are over and I've bought everyone their presents (until February 11, Ozzy's second birthday), the time has come to buy myself some. The Boy and I had some time to kill and were wandering around the East Village and (completely by accident, I assure you!) we found ourselves in front of Broadway Panhandler, an excellent kitchen-supply store with much better prices than the more upscale chains. Not wanting to argue with fate, we decided to go in and see what was what.

After browsing for quite some time, we ended up with three items, all of which I needed and two of which were recommended by Cooks Illustrated. Our first purchase was a 6" Forschner Cook's Knife by Victorinox ($21.95). We already have an 8" forged chef's knife that's quite expensive and high-quality that the Boy bought in France. While this is a fantastic knife, I have small hands and, honestly, find it a clunky, heavy knife to wield precisely enough for small dicing or deboning. My new 6" knife is lightweight and small enough for me to feel in control. The Boy, of course, still prefers his French blade.

Our next purchase was recommended by the gentleman in charge of knives at Broadway Panhandler and it is a 6" Chef's Knife Edge Guard ($2.95). This way, since we don't have space for a knife block in our kitchen, we can just store our blade with the rest of our cutlery without fear of being stabbed when I reach for an innocuous fork or spoon.

And, finally, we bought what Mom refers to as a "real kitchen workhorse," a Pyrex Baking Pan (not available from their website). I haven't used it yet, but I'll be sure to tell you when I do!

Broadway Panhandler
65 East 8th Street
New York, NY 10003

No comments: